As Family Golf Week in Myrtle Beach prepares to kick off Thursday with first-round action, we go inside the numbers and features of an event that includes far more than the world’s largest father/son competition.
- This year’s Family Golf Week in Myrtle Beach features 353 two-person teams (706 participants) representing 43 states, the District of Columbia and four countries including the United States, Canada, Colombia and the United Kingdom.
- The field is set among 15 flights, spread among five divisions (National, Senior 60-69, Super Senior 70-79, 80+ and Parent/Child). The National division offers the widest array of competitive levels, spanning a handicap index range from -1.8 to 57.6 across six flights, while the Super Senior and Senior divisions are being contested across four and three flights, respectively.
- The oldest member of each two-person team determines their division placement, with Senior and Super Senior division placements given the option of competing in the National division.
- Teams represent a wide range of “Father/Son” and “Parent/Child” tandems, including father/son, uncle/nephew, grandfather/grandson, stepfather/stepson, father/son-in-law, mother/daughter, aunt/niece, grandmother/granddaughter, mother/daughter-in-law, father/daughter, uncle/niece, grandfather/granddaughter, stepfather/stepdaughter, father/daughter-in-law, mother/son, aunt/nephew, grandmother/grandson, stepmother/stepson and mother/son-in-law.
- To reinforce the inclusive, welcoming atmosphere of Family Golf Week, the event welcomes any combination of players on a team as long as a generation gap separates the team members; they do not need to be related in order to compete on the same team.
- The event is contested on seven Grand Strand courses, including the Love Course at Barefoot Resort, Glen Dornoch, Heritage Club, Indigo Creek, Heathland Course at Legends Resort, Thistle and Wachesaw Plantation East.
- Play begins Thursday with all players competing in a Two-Person Captain’s Choice format, followed by Friday’s Two-Person Better Ball and Saturday’s Two-Person Alternate Shot (Modified) formats.
Stay tuned to PlayGolfMyrtleBeach.com for event updates including photos, videos and more!