Today’s visit to the archives takes us back to May 31, 1948, where in this photo we see a meeting taking place at Chapin’s Cabin to organize the corporation for building what would soon become the Grand Strand’s most renowned golf venue, The Dunes Golf & Beach Club.
Chapin’s Cabin, a small building located on the property near what is now the 11th tee, has been referred to as The Dunes Club’s first clubhouse. The gathering at this location quickly set the stage for ensuing events: just two weeks later, the first Board of Directors was established for The Dunes Golf & Beach Club. Just one week after that, the new Board was granted its Declaration of Charter by the South Carolina Secretary of State.
By February 1949, the Myrtle Beach Farms Company had conveyed 269.8 acres to establish the building of the facility “for the sum of $10 and other valuable considerations,” as described in The Dunes Club’s historical archive page. The property allocation came with two strict conditions: first, with a guarantee that within three years from the date of conveyance, an 18-hole golf course would be constructed on the premises; and second, that the club operation would continue for a period of not less than 10 years.
Each condition was met. By October 1949 nine holes (comprising what is the back nine today) had opened for play, with the second nine holes completed and opened for play just over a year later.