By David Williams
Golf in Myrtle Beach has been riding a high for some time now. A lot of changes and big initiatives are happening throughout the market, it’s almost hard to keep up with it all. Here are some of the things on the short-term horizon that I’m most looking forward to along the Grand Strand golf scene.
1. Pawleys Plantation Renovation. My family has been coming to Pawleys Island for more than 23 years, since I was 5. We always played one round of golf during our visits, and it was Pawleys Plantation. When I heard they were undergoing a complete renovation I was curious to see what changes would be coming to this one-of-a-kind Nicklaus design. After seeing the work in person, I am extremely excited to see what the final product looks lke. We did a full update on the project that you can watch here.
2. Leopard’s Chase New Greens. Leopard’s Chase was one of the few courses along the Grand Stand that had bentgrass greens. They closed earlier this summer to replace them with bermudagrass. The layout there is fantastic, which makes them getting new greens even more exciting for the folks eagerly waiting to play it when they reopen in September.
3. 2024 Myrtle Beach Classic. The PGA TOUR is finally coming to Myrtle Beach! I’ve been lucky enough to work very closely with some of the best players in the world, and now they’ll be taking on The Dunes Golf & Beach Club! We sat down with the tournament director, Darren Nelson, to talk about some of things being planned for the event and the prospects sound awesome! You can watch the full interview here.
4. 2024 Dustin Johnson World Junior. The recent success of past champions Akshay Bhatia, Nick Dunlap and Alexa Pano has me looking forward to the ninth edition of this event in March. Always pay attention to the field at TPC Myrtle Beach, because you never know what future golf superstar you might be watching.
5. Fall Golf in Myrtle Beach. Fall is one of my favorite times to play golf. The cooler temperatures, the lush course conditions … It all adds up to a fantastic experience. If you haven’t booked that golf trip to Myrtle Beach, get on it! Take a look at all of our featured packages and start planning that trip today!
There are few more projects that I couldn’t mention because they are not public knowledge yet. That’s what we call a teaser, folks! Stay tuned to PlayGolfMyrtleBeach.com as they come to life, because exciting times are coming in Myrtle Beach golf!