Great things come to those who wait, and for those preparing to descend upon the Grand Strand golf scene next week for the concluding event of the Golf Tourism Solutions (GTS)/PlayGolfMyrtleBeach.com 2021 tournament season, the area’s best courses are lined up and ready to host an unprecedented number of participants in this year’s edition of the Short Par 4 Fall Classic. Here are five things you need to know about this highly anticipated event.
1. The Short Par 4 Fall Classic is the fastest-growing event in the GTS portfolio, once more sold out and this year boasting 566 players in the field over 10 competitive flights. It’s a whopping 27-percent increase over last year’s large field of 450 players.
2. Players arrive this weekend from 35 states and Ontario – and we couldn’t be happier to see more of our international friends as the U.S. at long last drops COVID-19 travel restrictions this week to welcome vaccinated visitors from Canada, Mexico and Europe! Of the U.S. states represented in this year’s field, the Carolinas pace the entries (North Carolina 91, South Carolina 86) with Maryland (37), Virginia (37) and Pennsylvania (33) also repping large numbers.
3. The Short Par 4 Fall Classic’s host sites are a cross-section of the Myrtle Beach area’s most highly-rated and requested courses. They include the masterful design work of the Dye Family (Dye Course at Barefoot Resort, Prestwick), Mike Strantz (True Blue), Jack Nicklaus (Pawleys Plantation, Long Bay), Arnold Palmer (Rivers Edge, King's North at Myrtle Beach National), Tom Fazio (TPC Myrtle Beach) and the recently revamped “Granddaddy” of Myrtle Beach golf (Pine Lakes). Popular layouts Arrowhead, Barefoot Resort’s Love and Norman courses, Grande Dunes Resort Course, Thistle and World Tour round out an impressive 15-course lineup.
4. The two-person team event changes formats daily. Rounds 1 through 3 are contested in best ball, modified alternate shot and Texas scramble formats on their respective days before Round 4 play returns to a best ball format. It is scored with net results that apply a percentage of each player’s handicap.
5. Each player receives a tournament gift bag featuring a Short Par 4 commemorative event outerwear garment, plus a $50 gift card redeemable at multiple Homegrown Hospitality Group Restaurant locations in the area. Now in its third year of title sponsorship of the Fall Classic, Short Par 4 has emerged as one of GTS Tournament Division’s top corporate supporters. We thank them once more for their unflagging support, and encourage you to learn more about Short Par 4’s innovative membership options that bring great golf apparel straight to your front door!